Boys Varsity Soccer
The varsity boys soccer team will host the 1st round of the regional soccer tournament at MVHS and will be seeded #2. Practice is normal times for Thursday and Friday in the stadium. Bring your rain gear...
Kickoff for tonight's semi final district tournament soccer game against Hayfield has been moved to 6:00 pm due to potential weather.
the game scheduled for tonight against Stuart HS has been postponed due to weather. The makeup game will take place on April 4th, same times and location.
2018 Spring Team Photos will be taken on March 5th in the Field House. Picture time is 3:45pm. Forms will be handed out to players at practice
Whatever you lack, we got you. We will balance each other out. Minor setback? We will make a Major comeback. Bad Day? We will promise you a better night. You need support? We will be your backbone. We will keep you motivated and at the top, always. As long as you appreciate us and remain consistent, you do ot ever have to doubt our loyalty. We got you, you got us... WE ARE A TEAM.
Practice Schedule for the spring 2018 is Monday - Friday from 3:30 - 5:30 pm on the stadium field. Games will be alternate on different days each week. Please make sure you are aware of the games and practices.
On given days, practices outside may be canceled due to film sessions, team bonding activities, or rest and recovery day. Please make sure you are aware of these as they come about.
Make sure all players have a ride after practices and after games.
Both teams will not practice over spring break due to club tournaments. This time is for rest and recovery and to get caught up on school work. It is encouraged to make sure you stay active and get touches in and a light jog to keep the legs loose.
The First 7
1. Please communicate with your student athlete's coach. If you feel your athlete, or you, has been offended, the coach can probably address the issue with you better than a third party.
2. Please do not teach your student athlete that the answer to “failure” and “unhappiness” is to quit (example would be to pull them off the team). We want to communicate and teach commitment.
3. Please remember that coaches make all the decisions regarding playing time (popular and unpopular)
4. Please be twice as vocal in supporting our team as you are in criticizing our team.
5. Please remember that your child will have to respect and follow the leadership of their coach. This is very difficult to do if they hear you consistently talk negatively of the coach or team.
6. Please avoid shouting out specific advice to your child during games. They need to be focused on the voice of their coach and teammates.
7. Please come to pick up your child from practice and games in a timely manner. Please keep in mind a time frame of 30 minutes of practice concluding and from away games.
10 Things that Require No Talent
1. being on time
2. work ethic
4. body language
8. being coachable
9. doing extra
10. being prepared
1. Technique is not being able to juggle a ball 1000 times. Anyone can do that by practicing. Then you can work in the circus. Technique is passing the ball with one foot, with the right speed, at the right foot of your teammate.
2. Someone who has juggled the ball in the air during the game, after which four defenders of the opponent get the time to run back, that’s the player people think is great. I say he has to go to the circus.
3. Choose the best player for every position and you will end up not with a strong 11 on the field but with 11 strong individuals.
4. On my teams, the goalie is the first attacker and the striker is the first defender
5. Before I make a mistake, I do not make that mistake
6. I always threw the ball in, because then if I got the ball back, I was the only player unmarked
7. Players that are not true leaders try to always bash other players after a mistake. True leaders on the pitch already assume others will make mistakes.
8. What is speed? The sports press often confuses speed with insight. If I start running slightly earlier than someone else, I will always seem faster and be faster
9. When you play a match, it is statistically proven that players actually have the ball 3 minutes on average… so, the most important thing is: what do you do during those 87 minutes when you do not have the ball. That is what determines whether you are a good player or not.
10. After you won something, you are no longer 100%, but 90%. It’s like a bottle of carbonated water where the cap is removed for a short while. Afterwards there is a little less gas inside
11. There is only one ball so you need to have it
12. We must make sure their worst players get the ball the most. You will get it back in no time
13. If you have the ball you must make the field as big as possible and if you do not have the ball, you must make it as small as possible
14. Quality without results is pointless. Results without quality is boring
15. There are very few players who know what to do when they are not marked. Sometimes you have to tell a player: “That attacker is very good, but do not mark him.”
16. Playing soccer is very simple but playing simple soccer is the hardest thing there is
Mount Vernon Boys Soccer Tryout Guidelines
Dates: February 19-23
Times: Monday at 12:00pm - 2:00pm, Tuesday – Friday at 3:30pm – 5:30pm
Criterion for selection of teams:
Monday: Fitness in small sided games, abilities, shots, ball control, vision
Tuesday: Evaluation in Small-sided games and larger-sided games with agility work and fitness
Wednesday: Evaluation in Small-sided and larger-sided games and fitness
First Round of Selection Process
Thursday: Evaluation in large-sided games and small-sided games (If need be)
Friday: Full field 11 vs. 11 games (If need be)
Final Round of Selection Process
I. Attention: All Juniors and Seniors MUST try out for Varsity as well as any underclassman that is asked to tryout by the varsity coaching staff. Seniors who do not make the Varsity team will be cut. If a junior does not make the varsity squad he will only be placed on the JV team at the coaching staff’s discretion only.
Freshman and Sophomores will be trying out for the JV unless told otherwise. (See above)
Players are guaranteed three tryout opportunities prior to first selections, even if those opportunities are held indoors due to inclement weather. Late Physicals, ECC’s and/or Participation Policies will NOT extend a player’s tryout week. Get your paperwork in BEFORE tryouts begin.
II. IMPORTANT: In order to participate, student-athletes and their parents MUST complete the mandatory concussion education. Please access the link and complete the student and parent portions of the education as soon as possible.
Athletic abilities we are looking for: Speed, endurance, and agility will be assessed during play and drills as well as:
1. 120’s- 20 seconds to complete, 40 seconds between sets.
2. 300 Yard Shuttle (Target - 60 seconds)
3. 100, 80, 60, 40, 20 Yard Sprints x 4
Attitude demonstrates a strong work ethic. We are looking for positive attitude and body language and those who encourage others, know when to work and when to play and those who possess leadership qualities that reflect MAJOR PRIDE both on and off the field. We are looking for the RIGHT player, NOT the best player. We are One Player…One Team.
IV. Number targeted for teams:
V. Practice commitments of every MV player who makes selection:
Players are expected to be at ALL practices from the start of the season to the end of the season
Practice are Monday – Friday from 3:30pm to 5:30pm
Any conflicts with practices must be discussed with the coaching staff prior to tryouts.
VI. Game commitments
All players MUST attend every game. There are NO EXCEPTIONS. It is an honor and privilege to represent Mount Vernon and missing games and practice will not be tolerated.
VII. Eligibility requirements
A player MUST PASS 5 out of 7 classes in the first semester (1st and 2nd quarters combined).
VIII. Administrational Information:
A student is NOT permitted to participate in tryouts while serving an out-of-school suspension.Local school extracurricular participation policies are in effect.
All forms must be turned into the Athletic office. This includes your VHSL physical form, emergency care card, extracurricular participation policy.
If a student is going to miss tryouts due to extenuating circumstances, e.g., extended sport season, sickness, injury, or another compelling reason, he MUST have prior approval of the coaching staff and the Director of Student Activities (DSA).
Cuts/Selections will be made over the three to five day period. Understand this is a large team, and some may be cut due to overall numbers. If you do not make this squad, do not get discouraged, we have large numbers and we hope to see you next season.
Come prepared and ready!!